Deliciously healthy quiche.
125ml (1/2 cup) cake flour
125ml (1/2 cup) wholewheat flour
200ml (3/4 cup) grated Cheddar cheese
80g butter or margarine
30ml (2 Tbsp) olive or cooking oil
4 medium leeks, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
80g sun-dried tomatoes in liquid, drained and coarsely chopped
200ml (3/4 cup) sachet Spur Cheddamelt or Pepper sauce
80ml (1/3 cup) milk
2 extra-large eggs
30ml (2 Tbsp) fresh mixed herbs, chopped or 10ml (2tsp) dried herbs
10ml (2 tsp) sugar
5ml (1 tsp) Spur Seasoning Salt
Add freshly ground black pepper to taste
30ml (2 Tbsp) grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Base: Mix all ingredients into a soft dough in a food processor or by hand. Press into base and sides of a greased 24cm quiche pan/dish.
- Filling: Heat oil in heavy-based pan. Saute leeks and garlic for a few minutes until soft. Remove from heat and set aside. Add tomatoes and spoon into base.
- Whisk cheese sauce, milk, eggs, herbs, sugar and seasonings together and pour over leeks and tomatoes into base.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over and bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees celsius for 30-40 minutes.
For individual quiches, use 8 small tins.
1. Substitute the leeks and sun-dried tomatoes with any vegetables, such as broccoli, spinach or PEPPADEW Peppers.
2. Substitute the sun-dried tomatoes with about 50g dried tomatoes. Soak for about 10 minutes in warm water to soften and drain.
3. Substitute the vegetables with any cooked meat, such as 125g streaky rindless bacon, chopped.
The quiche can be served warm or cold and is suitable for lunch or light supper.