Roasted Tomato Pastries
Tasty Tomato Pastries garnished with Parmesan and Basil.
400g frozen puff pastry
10ml (2 tsp) olive or cooking oil
10ml (2tsp) butter or margarine
1 clove garlic, crushed
3ml (0.5 tsp) chopped ginger
2 small leeks or half small red onion, sliced
500g cherry tomatoes
15ml (1 tbsp) brown sugar
5ml (1 tsp) Spur Seasoning Salt
Add freshly ground black pepper to taste
30ml (2 tbsp) fresh basil, chopped
30ml (2 tbsp) Spur Hickory Basting Sauce
1 beaten egg and 30ml (tbsp) milk for glazing
Parmesan cheese shavings
Garnish with fresh basil, chopped
- Thaw pastry, keep cold and set aside.
- Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan. Add garlic, ginger and leeks and sauté until soft.
- Add tomatoes and stir-fry for a few minutes. Add the Spur Hickory Basting and all remaining ingredients and stir-fry further for about 10 minutes for tomatoes to soften and for sauce to reduce. Set aside.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface until it's about 3mm thick. Cut into rectangular shapes of about 7 x 10 cm each. Place half of the pastry shapes on a greased baking tray. Dampen the edges with water. Cut out centres of the other pastry halves and place on top of the base pastries.
- Divide the tomato mix between the pastries and brush the edges with beaten egg and milk. Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese and Basil. Serve immediately.
Instead of using pastry, spoon tomato mix onto toasted baguette slices or any other bread of your choice!