Sweet Potato Pies
Delicious treats for the whole family!
400g ready-prepared puff pastry
60g butter or margarine, softened
200ml (3/4 cup) sugar
2 extra-large eggs, separated
125ml (1/2 cup) Spur Salad and French Fry Dressing
2 large sweet potatoes, cooked, mashed and cooled (1 1/2 cups)
5ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
3ml(1/2 tsp) ground ginger
1ml (pinch) all spice
2ml (1/4 tsp) salt
Cinnamon sugar for topping
- Cream butter and sugar together. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing and beat well. Stir in sweet potatoes and spices. Whisk egg whites until stiff peak stage and gently fold into mixture. Spoon into the pre-baked pastry shells.
- Reduce heat to 180 degrees celsius and bake tarts for about 20 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve warm or cold.
- Substitute the puff pastry with short crust or phyllo pastry.
- Instead of small pies, make one large pie and bake for about 40 minutes.
For a finer texture, place mixture in a food processor before pouring into the pastry shells and baking.