Tantalizing Lamb Potjie
A wholesome and hearty feast - tantalizing lamb potjie
45ml (3 tsp) Olive Oil
1kg lamb neck slices, 2cm thick
12 pickling onions, peeled or 1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 red chilli, seeded and chopped finely (optional)
125ml (1/2 cup) Spur Durky Sauce
560ml (2 1/4 cups) water
80ml (1/3 cups) dry red wine
30ml (2 Tbsp) fresh mixed herbs, chopped or 10ml (2 tsp) dried herbs
5ml (1 tsp) Spur Meat Spice
Add freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
400g mixed marrows (including patty pans)
300g carrots, sliced
15ml (1 Tbsp) cake flour
- Place a medium heavy-based saucepan or cast-iron pot over moderate coals. Heat oil in potjie and fry lamb until golden brown.
- Add onions and saute for a few minutes until soft. Remove the onions from pot. Add Spur Durky Sauce, water, wine, herbs and seasonings and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Add onions and potatoes, marrows and carrots and continue to simmer for a further 20 minutes until soft. Thicken the sauce with a paste of flour and water and serve immediately.
1. The lamb neck slices can also be substituted with lamb knuckles, beef or pork.
2. Substitute the marrows and carrots with 500g of other vegetables of choice, such as pumpkin, butternut or green beans.
Serve with steaming rice or for a true South African meal, serve with 'Mieliepap".